Translate

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Mile High (Altitude) Snickerdoodles

When my daughter and her friend were in middle school, they decided one day to make Snickerdoodles.   They had a serious discussion about the lack of Snickers in Snickerdoodles.  So they decided to cut some up and add them to their cookies.  I suppose you could too if you want to, but mine are the old fashioned variety and after I make a batch, they rarely last more than two days in the cookie jar. 

Dough is ready as soon as you make it, but I refrigerated mine so I could take my son to hockey practice. 

As with any of my cookies, you start with butter.  Mom told me when she makes cookies, if the recipe calls for two sticks, she uses one butter and one margarine.  Then she told me that our grandson doesn't like her cookies.  Hmmmm.  Could butter be the magic ingredient that makes cookies so delicious?  I would like to think so.  That and my heavy whipping cream. Yup. Heavy whipping cream.

I used to keep an old margarine tub of cinnamon sugar.  Now I just keep it in a sprinkle jar so my family can indulge in cinnamon toast whenever they want. Trouble is, they keep forgetting it's there.  Still, it comes in handy for Snickerdoodles, Sautéed Apples, and French Toast.  

Cinnamon Sugar has many uses! And doesn't go bad!

After I make my 1-1/2" balls of cookie dough, I just pour some cinnamon sugar into a little glass bowl and drop a ball in, swirl it around and coat it nicely.  I tend to make all my balls first in hopes of getting even balls but I never quite succeed with this effort, yielding different sized cookies in all my batches.  None-the-less, I like to ball all, then coat all.  Then baking is a breeze.

Patience is a virtue I am still learning.  Here are the first few balls for the sake of this picture :)

I had leftover cinnamon sugar, so I took the fresh-out-of-the-oven cookie and flipped it over in the sugar for an extra coating.  The family did not complain.

Careful! Hot cookies break easily!

My family loves homemade cookies.  I can hardly keep up with them eating them all up.  I hope you find that your family gobbles them up too.

xo ~
Rolly <3

Snickerdoodles! YUM!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tartar
  • 2 stick salted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup of granulated sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 eggs
  • 2 T heavy whipping cream


Directions:


  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and cream of tartar; stir to combine. Set aside.
  • Blend butter and sugar until creamy. 
  • Add vanilla extract, egg and heaving whipping cream.
  • Slowly sift dry ingredients into batter, about 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition
  • Roll dough into 1 1/2" balls.
  • Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 2T ground cinnamon in a small bowl.  Drop dough ball into bowl and swirl to coat.
  • Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place dough ball at least 2" apart.
  • Bake 9-12 minutes.
  • Cool at least one minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment