Translate

Friday, June 5, 2015

Spaghetti-Bows



Spaghetti-Os anyone?

A kid-friendly meal that is fast and easy? Spaghetti-Bows! Or maybe I should call them "This Ain't Ya Daddy's Spaghetti-Os!"

My husband recently started going grocery shopping with me. He really hates to go, so I've never ask, but recently I started to suffer from dizzy spells so he now accompanies me. I always found it odd when I would see couples grocery shopping.  But now that we do it, I must say, co-grocery shopping isn't so bad. Dare I say, I actually enjoy it.

As my husband and I go aisle by aisle, we happened upon the Spaghetti-Os and it was like he was a little boy all over again. So we picked up a couple of cans. He wanted to share the Spaghetti-Os experience with our youngest son. As good as he remembered it. 

Now, being a Pinterest Fanatic, I thought, "I bet I can find a recipe for homemade Spaghetti-Os!" and sure enough, I found two. I must have mushed the two recipes together because shopping by memory, I picked up tomato soup from the first recipe but the recipe I ultimately saved called for tomato sauce.  I only had an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce. Hmmmm. Quandary.

My solution? Use both! I do wonder however, where the heck these women (both recipes) found pasta O's? I settled for Mini Farfalle because I liked the play on words.  Get some sharp cheddar and give it a good fine shred. I may have used more because I had a chunk left over and wanted to use the whole chunk. But who doesn't like cheese? In fact my oldest son, topped his with more shredded cheese. YUM.



Here is my take on Spaghetti-Bows!

Ingredients:  1 lb. Mini Farfalle Pasta
                        2 cans Campbell's Tomato Soup
                        1 - 8 oz. can of Hunts Tomato Sauce
                        3-4 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
                        1 tsp. garlic powder
                        Water
                        4 hotdogs, sliced 1/4" thick
                        1 cup finely shredded sharp cheddar cheese
                        2-4 Tbs. milk
                        Dash of salt (maybe a 1/4 tsp.)


1.  Make your pasta according to package directions. Drain (or reserve for the water you add in the
     next step). The original recipe called for dry pasta to be cooked in the sauce. I found that this
     technique, albeit faster, absorbed too much of the sauce and it became too thick. My Spaghetti-O's
     were more saucy.

2. In a large pan, combine soup, tomato sauce, Worcestershire, and garlic powder. Use the empty 8
    oz. can of tomato sauce to add water - three times. If you want it a bit thicker, use the water from
    the pasta. Combine well and bring to a simmer.

3.  Add hotdogs and let that simmer enough to heat them up. Then add the pasta, coating well. Add
     2T milk and the cheese, while stirring to coat. If your sauce is too thick add more milk. 

VOILA! Spaghetti-Bows! Enjoy!




xo ~
Rolly <3






No comments:

Post a Comment